Wednesday, October 3, 2012

All people...31 for 21, Day 3

All people have different levels of cognitive development. 
All people have weaknesses. 
 
That being said I submit the following:
 
All people with Down syndrome experience cognitive delays, but the effect is usually mild to moderate and is not indicative of the many strengths and talents that each individual possesses.
Quality educational programs, a stimulating home environment, good health care, and positive support from family, friends and the community enable people with Down syndrome to develop their full potential and lead fulfilling lives.
 
For instance my son was able to read his Pre K and K sight words very early.  I was encouraged when a teacher came to work with him and was astonished.  She said that she knew kids of the same age could not do that.  She noted those kids needed to get to work on it! 
 
My point being...everyone has strengths.  My son's strength is in reading.  He does not hold a conversation with anyone, but he can read his books.  He is putting sentences together.  He is spelling.  All of us have different levels of cognitive development.  His emotional development is about half his age.  I am not worried.    I love my boy!  I do not compare him with anyone...he is who he is!
 
 
Reading is his strength! 
 
 
And he is proud of it when he does a good job! 
I love school time with him! 
All people have strengths! 
 

No comments:

Tell me!