Healing takes time. My sweet pea is better and so are we. It seems we have missed a couple of weeks of life, but it's all the more sweet when you can stop the spinning ride, get off and breathe again. We have another few days before Artie has to go back to nursing care.
We are kicking in with home school. Right away the lessons go into identifying family members by matching picture to written name (names as sight words) and identifying colors. Another thing I like is right at the beginning are exercises for obeying and coming when called. Artie wont even look at me when I call his name right now, no matter what it is. I thought it was hearing but just had the sedated hearing test done and he does hear me. I sure hope this part of the program works.
The past year' attempts at teaching has been interesting. Its been a slow process without direction but standing back I can see that he identifies letters in an electronic game and follows along when someone is counting. He also identifies 70% of the letters with the phonic sound. I hear low muttered words now and then. When he is in the mood he can select the farm and zoo animals I ask for.
But that is just it. When he is in the mood. Moms, how do you motivate your child? Sometimes I have to hold my breath and pray.
Back surgery ( here ) has been delayed until September 3rd. I take a deep breath because although I know it is past due, my boy needs some down time without surgery, sickness or change. He needs his routine back. The first half of this year has been a roller coaster...did I say "get off the spinning ride and breathe again"?
Something else has gotten my attention. A noble movement. Starting out with a shout about to roar~
I am in and ready to drop a few bombs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









2 comments:
Hi Artie's mom,
I'm "Amber's mom". She has DS. I've been a member of this Yahoo group for a long time. It's called "UpN Downs" All the members are parents or grandparents of people with down syndrome. We write eachother on our e-mail and share advise and experiences (celebrated or otherwise). It's very helpful and supportive. I thought I would share.
:) Nikki (aka Amber's Mom)
Hi Artie's mom! Found you through DownTown DS. Artie is a handsome guy! I have a son, 21 months old now, and I blog about him at http://billandria.blogspot.com. May I add you to my blogroll? It's arranged by age range. :-) Looking forward to following your blog in my reader.
Post a Comment