Monday, May 18, 2009

Growing Pains

In the past two months Artie has grown. And it hurts when he does.

Neuromuscular Scoliosis demands that he have a titanium rib implant and it requires expanding every 6 months or so. Our last trip was November.

Now he is uncomfortable and irritable at night. He tosses and turns because his back hurts. It is especially painful at night if he sat down hard during the day, fell on his bottom or against his back or walked for more than 10 minutes. It must be like an old tooth ache. Hurting worse when you are still in the middle of the night.

It seems that we go just a short time between recovery from surgery to discomfort demanding more surgery. That short time is precious.

Lets see...November surgery, December Infection in the surgery site and RSV with pneumonia, March and April the Marcus Institute learning to swallow, and May is planning the surgery about to pop up and dealing with the increasing discomfort.

This time I am making some changes. After surgery I am asking for a longer "recovery time" and I am going to follow up with our Pedi quickly so she can spot any issues. I think each infection after surgery is started by a reaction to something used during surgery. Maybe skin glue? Or what ever is used to sterilize the skin before incision?

All I want to do is hold him and make it all ok. That makes my heart ache.

2 comments:

Lu, Poppies Blooming said...

We will pray for this for him! It sounds like a nightmare for him.

Lu

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about the pain. I will keep him in my prayers.

Tell me!