Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Transitions and the task at hand

Tomorrow we go to see a new ST. Not that I dont love the one we have but we have her as part of the medical daycare program. As the medical daycare program goes, so does she. Awww. Too bad.

I have found sources for his therapy scattered about. I do want to check out the few that I have options about.

The paperwork and letter of medical necessity has been sent. I am waiting to meet some nurses and meantime it will be just me and Artie.

In one week and two days we start our time at home together.
We have a wonderful week before surgery. I have a few friends who are RN's that have kindly offered their skilled assistance should I need escape or time alone. I doubt it. I am so tickled to have him home. Now ask me three weeks from now and see what I say, LOL!

His doc has been kind in providing excuses for me to keep him home...soon I wont have to call so much.

When I go out to pull weeds, he is right by my side. When I clean a room, he is my entertainment and sidekick. When I eat lunch, he does too...so what do I need other than someone else to listen to those precious lungs and check him out? Ok, maybe a run to the Doc's office or a meeting or two.

But all and all, next week is our transistion to home to get ready for surgery. Post op, we will hang out together for a week or so too.

And hopefully by then the transtition to home nursing will be complete. I so look forward to that.

We will stay on our 'home school' schedule through recovery because he loves it.

As far as public school. The special education teacher wants to come out to our house once a week and wants the school provided therapies to come too. I am not sure. I dont want to be tied to the school and get into legal hassles. We will see.

There are a lot of transitions to be made here. I think we are so ready!

3 comments:

Leah Spring said...

Angela was on homebound school services for a long time. For school age kids, its MUCH less time than when they were in birth-3 programs. They only have to provide the DIRECT SERVICE minutes that are on the IEP.

Ann said...

Ahhh that makes sense Leah! Thanks for that!

Ria said...

How was the meeting with the new ST? From your post, it does seem like a lot of changes on the horizon. I hope all the transitions go as well as possible.
By the way, thanks for your comment on my post about the care notebook. I also like your idea of having a 1-2 page summary for doctors. That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Tell me!