Friday, July 18, 2008

Last Wednesday's notes

My little one is in OR now.

He will be in for about 4 hours they say.

He is doing well and is strong so I feel it will be a success.

An interesting note...the OR nurse felt she had to share. She said her daughter graduated with a degree in something (I am a tired mama) and couldnt get work. She said she took a job as a house mother for 5 men in their 40's that had Down syndrome about 5 years ago. She said she always felt sorry for people when she heard they had "that". It seems her view changed when her daughter asked to bring them over for a cookout. She said she was very nervous but they were the most delightful well mannered men she had ever met. She found it interesting that they were dedicated to each other and taking care of each other. She said that they were a family and very close. She also noted that none of them had parents living or extended family. I reminded her that every child was full of possibility and thanked her for her story.

I realized later that one of my fears as an older parent is just that. Knowing my child might be alone in later years. As I thought about it I felt better. Of course I teach him life skills and encourage independence. I just have to keep remembering that he can do it. He will be fine today and he will be fine in the future...but I still need prayer!

No comments:

Tell me!