Thursday, December 2, 2010

Done...now to move to Disney World.

The wait was hard. We met so many, another mom with a new born with Down syndrome.,, Another mom with a new born with heart defects. A spritual sister and new nurses on the floor.

Not knowing the course of the surgery was a big worry. We were told that he didnt know if this surgery would help. If it wouldnt help then he was just going to close the incision and do nothing. When they were into it an hour and a half we knew the doctor felt he could help. When the second rib to spine rod was in place, he went in to investigate the other side. Much to everyones surprise, Christian has a broken rib. It has been broken for some time because Dr O noted a cloudy mass around the break. Either the cradle of the rod attached to the rib had erroded through or he must have had a hard fall or pull on the arm. Either way, his rib was broken. Tears flowed at the thought of him being in so much pain and us not realizing what was wrong.
How could I not know? What mother does not know when her child breaks a rib? Do you know how painful that is? Did it happen the time he quit walking for three days? Or the time he cried constantly for half the day? Or maybe one of the times when he kept putting himself to bed over and over. How could I not know?
How could the doctors not know? I scan the xrays searching for a hint that the rib is broken. I am not a doctor so how could I see it if they couldnt see it? How did this happen?

We met a mom with a new born with Down syndrome. She asked how we did it. I asked "did what?" She couldnt explain so I told her. I told her that even though Ty was only a few months shy of 5, he signs, counts and reads. I told her what he could do, what happiness he brings and showed her pictures of a happy family. She cried and said she was so very glad she ran into us. We hope to maintain contact.

He is resting now, pain meds every two hours. PT starts tomorrow to get him on his feet. I dont look forward to that.
My heart is over there in that hospital bed.
All I can think of is getting him back to our little home, getting in that big recliner with him in my arms and holding him close while he heals. We are on the other side now. He made it through the dangerous part. Now the healing. It will get better and better every day.

I think I want to take him and move to Disney World.

No comments:

Tell me!