Thursday, December 2, 2010

Watching over this boy

There is a lot of time to think at 2:30am as you watch over a boy.

He is the sweetest, most stubborn boy. He seems tough. But he is not. He is fragile. He is like a glass bull in a brick factory. Charging and going full speed.

You begin to think strange things at 2:30am.

His breathing is deep and steady. His body hard at work, knitting back together.
How wonderfully we are created. It seems the way our bodies heal when we are injured would make it so that our bodies were made to live on and on. But we dont. Life is fragile. Life is a gift.

Ken and I will have been married 29 years soon. My boy will be 5 soon. Our family is a gift. Seems we lived so completely with in ourselves for so long, Ken and I. I didnt know we needed anyone else.

This boy thats sleeping so deeply next to me, well, he showed us a thing or two about love.
Who ever thought I would find spending my vacation in a childrens museum fun at my age? Or choose to buy toys instead of getting a hair cut (I know, Sandra, I know) with my allowance?

Man, when this kid smiles everything is ok.

We are going to have a couple of tough days, but we are almost on the other side. Its like the long climb up a mountian. Once you reach the top you teeter there a few moments. Then suddenly you drop and free fall. Every moment is one moment closer to healing. Every moment is better and better. Lets hold that pattern.
Its been a heck of a day at sea, sir! But on we go.

When we get home we have to rest for a few weeks. By spring we should be ready for adventure. A boy gets bored and needs to learn new things, find new fun and explore. No more hiding at home waiting for surgery. Its been a long 2 years of ups and downs. School is where you find it. He certianly deserves the world as his school.

Random thoughts early in the morning, watching over this boy.

No comments:

Tell me!