Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Running to the ER...Prayers please!

Ty has his expansion surgery for his VEPTR rod on the 11th. The incision is swollen and inflamed. It looks so bad and sticks out about two fingers thick from his spine and is so red all around. He can hardly lay still and cant lay on his back.
We went to Atlanta to the ER on Saturday. They did blood tests and said the infection was surface, gave us antibotics and bactroban and released him. His temp spiked up to 104.3 that night and I was alone with him. He was in such pain! Moaning and crying and I could not comfort him. I couldnt drive the 15 miles to the ER not knowing if he was going to have seizures. In retrospect I should have called an ambulance. When I got his temp under control (102) with Tylenol and Motrin and cool baths I took him back to ER at 3:30am. By the time I got there his temp shot up again. On Sunday morning they redid the blood tests and it showed his white count up. They got his fever under control and gave him pain meds. They reevaluated him and said that I needed to take him to the ortho surgeon. We left the hospital and went there asap...
The rod is not broken. He has a pocket of infection in the incision NOT surface infection. We have the right meds. Thats it. We came back to south GA, four hours away. If the pocket of infection does not go away or continues to swell, we go back to ER. Hopefully in 48 to 72 hours it will begin to clear.
This morning although faithful to the routine of tylenol/motrin rotation his temp was over 104 again. Cool baths and cloths continued through the next dose of motirn...about 45 minutes after the last dose it came down to 101.
I am with him today. His G tube started leaking soaking his clothes so we just changed that and his temp is spiking again.

Pray for him...how long can he take this? I want to scream at the ER folks for letting him go twice! Poor sweet baby...I have to stay on top of that fever.

1 comment:

RK said...

Oh my goodness... that sounds so horrible for little Ty! And to watch can't be fun... we are praying!

Tell me!