Yes they have a name for what is happening to me. Today at breakfast I fed him. He doesnt really care if I say "good job taking your bite" or "hey buddy, you rock!" but dont tell them that.
Ok who am I to argue with what they say works? After all we tried for two and a half years to get him to eat and we didnt make it. Now he is eating so I need to straighten up. Protocol drift is not what I want on his chart LOL! Non compliant is not a good thing in the feeding clinic.
BK mentioned something interesting...it relates. I thought that Ty was not going to comprehend what they were saying. I didnt think he would understand the rules. You know the "green card rules" and such. Well when I talked to the doctor, she said it did not matter if he understood. She said that he would begin to associate what was happening to what was being said. She also said that he understands more than I think. Ok I thought she was nuts. But who am I to say...he is eating.
Now he responds to the "show me" and "take your bite" by opening his mouth. And it seems he has no preferences in taste. Isnt that unusual? His only issue is with thicker foods like pureed waffles and pureed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Yup they do puree those things! And get this...they add the butter and syurp too!
It seems the thicker foods make him work harder to clean his tongue and move the food back.
Oh and another term that comes to mind that is used is "fading". For instance they used fading to move from a dry spoon to a dipped spoon to a pea sized bite. Fading over a two week period. Talk about patience.
Now to the part I dont like. They are trying to get him to drink out of a cup. Keep in mind that he has to have honey thick foods. How fast does a drink that thick flow? Well they are giving him 1/8 of an ounce in a cut cup and holding it to his face while waiting for it to pour in his mouth. This I do not like and I have pointed out that he does not know what they want and it is unbearable to sit with a cup in your face waiting for a drop of honey thick drink to come out. WHEN someone else is holding it to your face! They insisted that this is going to work and even scraped the "drink" to the edge of the cup. Who am I to say. I dont think this one is well thought out at this point. I say fill up the cup and pour instead of waiting for a tiny bit to run out of the cup. Give him a break! Its a new world for him.
This is week five...can you tell mom is getting tired and irritable?
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment