Monday, April 20, 2009

Chewing is a tiring process

I never thought about chewing. I just eat. Lil man gets so tired. I can tell because afterwards he is so quiet.
He started learning to chew by them taking a tube, such as we use for the oxygen or the nebulizer, and cutting a strip out of it. He was then required to chew down on it for 5 sets for each side, two reps each. As he demonstrated he could do it the reps increased. He is up to 10 reps. Once his chews become strong then they add food on the tube working their way up to food that requires chewing. Then the next goal is self feeding. We may get to touch on that if he responds to the therapy.

He has done well mind you...and today they felt he was not "focused" enough.
They felt he was distracted with play and took his toy away. It was given back for 30 seconds when he complied and he chewed as they asked. At first I thought this would create strife and a negitive response. My little hero, already bored with the toys after 6 weeks anyway, made a game of it. And when he did get the toy he threw it across the room so the therapist couldnt take it again...Smart boy!

All complaining aside, they are an awesome bunch here...great feeding team!

One of the therapist told me that is does not come natural. Chewing is something learned in development. Hummm. Does that make sense?

We are so delighted to hear that some friends have good news! Baby D is going to step down! Wow! that means going home soon and we all know what a deep breath we take when that comes.

We have 7 more days in therapy. Seven.

We will be glad to be home, even if it means having to gear up for more. I miss my friends and family.

1 comment:

RK said...

Chewing is something I dream about. How weird is that?? That is something Braska has never done. I can't even imagine her chewing, but I still think someday she will. I just don't know what is between here and there.

Your little man is such an inspiration!!

Tell me!