Once again Mr. Ty is in the hospital. We are praying for a turn around.
Once again I thnk "if only it were just Down syndrome".
With all of the medical issues he has that are unrelated to Down syndrome I want to tell every parent, every doctor, anyone who will listen and those like the good Not-practicing Dr Amy who doesn't listen, that on a scale of what measures a child, Down syndrome is nothing.
Why do they measure a child anyway? Who determines if a child is worthy of life?
Would I abort him becasue he has scoliosis? OF COURSE NOT. Yet prenatal testing shows this. It shows the thoratic insuffency and the compromised heart. Is this a burden? No...I love him. Am I sad about it? Crying now.
Ds is a piece of cake. Ds is nothing compared to your child laying there with an implant that enables him keep a lung expanded. Ds is a piece of cake and a walk in the park compared to the frequent surgeries with infections and wounds that wont close. Fevers and pain, long sleepless nights and knowing you have to do this again in 6 months.
What is Ds to me? A trait that makes him who he is. His beautiful eyes, beautiful face and fingers and toes. Does it stop him from growing, exploring, finding joy and being a joy to everyone? No...But what stops him? Robs him of his smile? Brings tears, more tears than a 3 year old should have to cry from pain? Scoliosis.
So when a doctor says Down syndrome, that is nothing on the scale of measuring a child.
If only it were just Down syndrome. If only.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comment:
I like this post, and you are right. There are so many things that are 'worse' to deal with than down syndrome. Still, every child is a gift, and I am so happy that Ty is with you!!
Post a Comment