Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Two more days...self feeding and friends

Two more days and we graduate!

We have gone as far as we can in 8 weeks. Artie has moved from not eating to eating wet ground and working on chewing and self feeding.
Tomorrow his nurse comes to be trained. I look forward to getting that done and heading home.

I will post more on the protocol of chewing and self feeding later...

Artie has grown. Since he has been here he has added at least 15 new signs to his bank of sign language. He has learned to play new games and now speaks 5 words on a regular basis, when he is in the mood. Dont let me confuse you...it is never NEVER on demand. I am excited for him to return to his little school. He is moving up to the 3-5 year old class. Now, mind you, I am nervous about this. He doesn't have much upper body strength and I worry about his back and accidents but I feel the teachers will look out for him and the ratio is supposed to be 1:3. He is growing up!

We are lining up our medical schedule for him for the rest of the year and thinking about taking a mini vacation before his major surgery. Any ideas?

So many of the kind people we have met and come to know have gone home or on to another hospital. So many are promising to stay in contact. I look forward to that. Our lives are richer for having the experience of staying here this long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope everything goes well and ya'll will be going home this week!! You are in our prayers!!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. The previous message is from Maggie Jo, April, & Shane

Amy said...

You and Ty-baby will be missed for sure! Gracie will be looking for him Friday and he won't be there but we will celebrate that he accomplished his goals and more! Way to go Ty and way to go Mom!!! Thank you for listening with a mother's heart and encouraging me. I will never forget our phrasing...protocol drifting and stuff the baby (oops, did I type that?)

Tell me!