Thursday, May 14, 2009

Feeding at school....training the professional

I started out wanting to feed Artie at school. Yes, I did. Then when we got to the point where the nurse and I were looking eye to eye over his food, she took the spoon.
Instantly Artie turned his head away. Rejection! She looked at me with a sad puzzled expression and I said "tell him to take his bite". She did and like it was set on automatic, his mouth opened and she delivered the bite.

Since then we have trained quite a few of the staff and faculty there. In addition, they are revising the menu to include wet ground foods similar to the way they are prepared at the Marcus Institute. They have so many children there who could benifit from the Marcus Institute. I encouraged them to use fresh frozen instead of canned and try to avoid the over processed stuff like the canned mac and cheese. I will continue to send Artie's meals becasue I dont want him to eat sausage biscuits and hash browns wet ground.
While it is a step in the right direction, I dont think canned pears are as good as fresh peeled with moms touch. Will there come a day when I cant send food? Sure, but on the flip side, I am there now. Building a foundation.

2 comments:

Amy Flege said...

its amazing what we have to teach the "professional" isnt it?????

Amy said...

We took Grace to school for her end of year party last Tuesday. She ate at the table with everyone else. She was so proud and excited to "take her bites and swa-woah" The teacher was in awe. I am so glad that you are finding common ground at his school and that they are incorporating wet ground into their menu. I agree on the canned vs fresh. It just seems like their tummies would do much better on whole foods then canned/processed. Well, we can't have it all right away. Baby steps and thank the Lord that they are eating!!!

Tell me!