Thursday, April 2, 2009

Even out of a set protocol now!

Ok...Yesterday I asked if I could feed him at night and I was told yes...as long as I didnt use the "protocol" (I will post that later) or the spoons they are using.

So good mom that I am, I have 30 or so different spoons because at one point I really thought that a different spoon might be the trick. Or maybe I looked at them and thought "oh this is why he wont eat...I dont have THIS spoon". Go figure!

Anyway, I get back to the RMH and I get out my trusty z vibe flexible spoon (yup I have them all, no kidding) and start some tongue presses to warm him up and then dive right into the mango!

He ate all I had in the bowl. I cant tell you the good feeling that I had sitting there in the dining room feeding him. People walked by and saw me sitting there with a silly grin on my face and tears. They dont know me here so I just confuse them. I mean, do you help the crazy woman sitting there smiling and crying?

Anyone who knows me is already shaking their heads. I cry a lot for some reason.

Well he eats the mango. The bowl is empty and I have the deep desire to continue feeding him but control myself. Its not running across the room with a cookie leaving crumbs everywhere like I dreamed about but its Ty sitting there with a mango smeared face smiling at me.

Pureed today, wet ground tomorrow...who knows next week! We have three weeks and four days to go at the Marcus institute.

Today I confessed that he ate like a champion eater and finished the mango. I really wanted to be in that room feeding him, I wanted to do this now. By noon I took the spoon. He was great! Tonight they sent some food here with me to use. Once again I asked could I feed him more and I got the same answer. Again he ate. This time wet ground. That is progress ladies and gentlemen! Progress!

I am pushing for chewing therapy. They insist I am rushing. He is at the infant stage right now. He missed a lot of development in the eating arena when he got the g tube. It was 17 people and 2 1\2 years later and now he eats because of this program.

WOW

3 comments:

RK said...

I'm just eating this up...pardon the pun! I do TOTALLY get your excitement over his accomplishments! Braska took about 3 tbsp of oat cereal with Pediasure tonight at one sitting, along with several sips of Pediasure on the side, and I thought it was AWESOME! We're nowhere near anything more textured than that, but I have hope. I still get excited everytime she actually willingly opens her mouth to an offered spoonful of food!!

I can't wait to hear what's next to be mastered ahead of "their" schedule in your world! :)

Cathy said...

Oh I’m soooo excited for you to be feeding him food! WOO HOO WTG…..
I cry a lot to.
waiting anxiously for more updates

Sherry said...

Yeah! I think we have every spoon too! I also thought maybe it could be the color of the spoon. Now I am hoping it is just the tonsils. Cannot wait till my little guy is on the path to becoming an eater too! Thanks for sharing your joy and challenges!

I will continue to follow your journey.

Sherry(Mom to Nathan 4)

Tell me!