Thursday, November 4, 2010

A good trade...

I know, I am supposed to be raising money for the therapies and for Artie to get a special needs stroller.

But I saw it sitting there. I know I keep looking at other peoples donations and now this. And its not even a donation. :(

Someone wanted to join in the yard sale and pay part of the expenses. Not donate their items, but split expenses. Thats like money in my fund right? This whole yard sale thing cost me about 35.00 so if they give 17.50 back...

Well, then they unloaded a bunch of stuff.

I saw a nearly new wheel chair sitting there. Not one for a child mind you, and adult wheel chair. Unscuffed, unused and just sitting there. I thought back about some conversations I had over heard recently. There is a someone in our congregation that needed a wheel chair at one time. Another in a nearby congregation needed to borrow a wheel chair from someone else. It has come up to many times in conversation for me to pass this up.

As I was wondering how much they were going to mark it for. I wondered if I should buy it. I mean, it was a new wheel chair in a yard sale.
Suddenly they turned around and asked me how to price something.
I used an item I had as an example. Retail price, take 75% off and if its really used, take it down further.

Seems they suddenly wanted what I used as an example for pricing. They wanted it!

Hummm....when is it direction from God? I felt this was.

I smiled brightly and said "hey, I will trade you this for the wheel chair!" The deal was done after they explained in detail how much a wheelchair costs.
I asked "how much did it cost you?" and their reply was "nothing". I figured that.

Ok. This is not raising money for the therapy. But it will help someone. Someone who needs a wheel chair. That justifies losing 25.00 for donation to the therapy fund. After all, I am in this to help others, not just myself.
It was a good evening. I think I accomplished something. I feel good about it.
I am going to let Artie give it as a gift. Its going to fulfill a need. Isnt that what I am doing?

2 comments:

RK said...

That is wonderful...and you will always be blessed in a choice to help others. Many wouldn't do the same in your situation. Very cool!

I hope the yard sale is great...Big Pig Jig or not! :o)

lthouseclimber said...

This reminded me of Luke 21: the widow making an offering in spite of her poverty. I am sure you will be blessed for it.

Tell me!