Saturday, October 13, 2007

Day 13 for DownS/ Sunshine Saturday!

Somehow there is a link between dogs and kids.

Well at least my kid!

There is nothing like an early morning ride! When the mist rises off the country ponds and the sleepy cows are grazing, you could go on forever. Today we were driving right into the sunrise, all orangey and red! The power and telephone lines were lit up like neon wires, changing back into their drab black as we drove closer. It was a wonderful drive.
Of course 'you know who' had to explain why there is a mist over water in the mornings and why the sun is orangey red at sunrise and sunset...is romance dead? Well, at this rate lil Artie is going to be an encyclopedia of random facts. The other kids in the car just listened with periodic comments, nods and 'yes sir's.

The strong smell of fresh green peanuts was heavy in the air as we drove and we looked for the fresh fields being turned. DH would point this way at some sight and then that way...lil Arties head turning to look in each direction obediently as he pointed. He saw fields of cotton and millet, cows and goats, forests and swamps. He calmly listened as dada taught from the drivers seat. Red and GB just sat in an early morning daze, waking up now and then to comment.
He was a trouper.

Then suddenly something got his attention and he tried to lean forward in his carseat. Even the older kids sat up wide eyed. Dada started blowing the horn because there were puppies in the road. Dada explained that he blows the horn to make sure all animals can get out of the road to be safe. And then we talked about the dogs.

A game ensued...everyone joined in. Artie was teased into saying dada and trying to say blue and other charming vocal sounds. Blue is a word that came from his ability to make the BL sound as he spits, LOL! I tuned my head and asked him "say dog. da da dog!" Clear as a bell, without any further coxing he replied "dooog!"

There was total silence in the car for the first time since we started the ride. Well from DH and the kids anyway...Artie was still jabbering away. I looked back and Red comfirmed it, awake now, with her wide eyes and her mouth in a big O.
I looked at DH, wanting an adult to validate the incident, and said "he just said dog, did you hear him, he just said dog!?" And my DH grinned and comfirmed that I wasnt crazy...which is sometimes likely. Especially when I am in the car, early in the morning, and there is a lot of talking.

Its true! There is a connection between my kid and dogs. It was the first sign he learned. Not milk or more or even all done but DOG. And now it goes down in history that Artie said "dog" before he said "mama".

Am I jealous? Not today! I had two thoughts consectutively. First, I want to go get that boy a dog to grow up with! And second, I wish his speech therapist could have heard that!

No comments:

Tell me!