Sunday, October 21, 2007

Day 21 for DownS/ Serious Sunday

I was reading the blog Big Noise and something clicked. Now granted I have to be careful because of a lowered immune system and a myriad of other things, but am I hindering that "doing something extraordinary"? And if I become less restrictive, can I still watch out for him? Ok...but from a distance? Alright, close enough to catch him?

Never mind. I still have to think about this.

"He is Daniel Handler, who writes under the pseudonym, Lemony Snicket. He is the author of the 13-part “Series of Unfortunate Events,” tales that chronicle the lives of the Baudelaire orphans, Klaus, Violet, and Sunny.
Snicket is their uncle and narrator of all the stories; he is a scoundrel who wants only to separate the children from their inheritance. As the tales begin, he encourages us to do something better with our time; surely we can do better than to sit and read the sad tale he is about to tell. The books are wildly popular. Paramount Pictures made several of the stories into an Academy Award winning movie, “Lemony Snicket and A Series of Unfortunate Events.”
I was listening to someone interview Handler on public radio. The interviewer asked, “why orphans?” She wanted to know why children’s authors write so frequently about orphans. Handler responded, almost casually, “Because to do something extraordinary, one must be unsupervised.”
It immediately struck a chord. Instead of thinking about orphans, I wondered if the same were true for children with disabilities. Must they be unsupervised to be amazing? Children with disabilities are rarely unsupervised. Do we unwittingly, however lovingly, prevent them from doing something extraordinary?"




No comments:

Tell me!