I have read the posts on Downsyn.com since Artie came into my life. Today was especially encouraging. I want to quote some of a post. Ok...a lot of it. This person is writing about her brother who has lived with her for many years. He is 47 years old.
"As I sat down just inside of the play area and I could see George cleaning up the tables of napkins and wrappers. He is very efficient and serious about his work. The room was filled with young mothers and very young children, (school age children being in school) running amuck in the play equipment. I watched as George talked to mothers asking if it was ok to throw some things away and all smiled at George and called him by name as they answered him. (It seems that George is well known to these young mothers and their children) Later I watched as he handled a pushing match between two 4 yr. olds. I started to stand up afraid that the mom would take offence to George telling her son not to push but she came over and made her son apologize to the little girl and to George for having interrupted his work!!! Then a mother asked George to get her 2yr old out of the play equipment (he had climbed up too high to reach.) and George was soon quickly bringing the child down the slide. I sometimes forget how much things have changed. Attitudes are so different now and I rarely need to educate adults anymore. Kids are still kids but George is such a great ambassador for himself and for future ds adults that I even seldom have to educate them when George is around. I also forget that George has a whole world of experiences that I know nothing about. Every day he goes to work he meets hundreds of people and they meet him and I know nothing of those encounters but the few glimpses I get when I visit or the many times we have been out together and a stranger will walk up to George and greet him as an old friend. They all know about me, my DH and my children. (George tells everyone about us and shows pictures!) When we ask George how were things at work today all we get out of him is okay."
The poster mentions how hard her parents had to fight to change the hearts and minds of people so that their son could have a happy meaningful life. And he does. She ends the post saying
"George's life is full of love and friendship and respect. What more could any parent ask for!"
I am so glad she posted. I am eased by her brothers happiness and success.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment