Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Day 3 for DownS/ Wet Wednesday 10/3


It seems the sky was in tune with Artie last night.
It rained and rained here. And he cried and cried. He was so sick. His fever topped out at 100.8. Enough to make him hurt and be achy but not enough to alert the doctor. We kept using a cool cloth and Tylenol every time the tiny writing on the bottle said we could. Poor baby.

Dada rocked him and held him on and off all night. No sleep. Could you tell today, Auntie Kris?

By 7am we curled up on the bed with his hot little head on my arm. He slept that way until 9am. I was afraid to move because he was sleeping so calmly.

Teething? Sinus infection? Sore throat? The only signs were fever, congestion and being fretful.

The nurse came and checked him and she rocked him so I could grab a shower. Did I tell you how much I love our nurse? She is so caring. She comes quickly when he is sick. She carried him around, talking soothingly to him and looked in the big den. "You rearranged the room?" she asked. I hadn’t been in there for a couple of days so I came with dripping hair to see what she was talking about. The furniture was moved around so the sectional sofa was in line with the ottoman to make a bed. Dada had built a nest last night for Lil Man and himself so I could sleep some. I smiled and fell in love with my husband again. "No", I said grinning, "Dad was just making Artie comfortable while he was sick." She hugged him and handed him over to me. I went back to my chair and for a moment Artie grinned up at me, glad to be back in mama's arms. He is such a great kid.

We talked about his surgeries past and upcoming. We talked about his eating aversion and the feeding clinics available in our state. We talked about his compressed organs, stomach, lungs and kidneys. We talked about how much he is loved and what a healing factor he is in everyone's life. We laughed about his antics and adventures. He is a happy boy. Thats my job, trying to help him find happiness, and I am glad to do it.

As I listen to him play in the other room, I sit here wishing I could take every wrong, bad thing and wash it away with the rain so he doesn’t have to deal with it.

If life were only so.

No comments:

Tell me!